Now that all the holes have been cut, slots routed and all buttons have been test-fitted, it is time for paint! The machine will get a black base color, and on top of that will come custom art-work. I am not sure yet what the artwork will be, and if I want to design it myself or have it designed by someone who knows what he’s doing. But first: painting over the past few days the cabinet, backbox and panels were sanded and primed with an MDF primer paint several times. The hardware store advised to use a special MDF primer as it would better cover the MDF than normal wood primer. I was skeptical but it seems to have worked out great.
On previous projects I used normal primer which would then require 2 to 3 layers of black paint. After using the MDF primer, one layer of satin black seems to have covered the wood completely and evenly.
Unfortunately, there are a few spots that need some touching up as I was working in a small space with low lighting at night which caused some problem areas to go unnoticed until daylight the next day I think I did not properly sand it down or maybe the problem-spots were not completely dust-free.
One of the spots (on top of the backbox) I tried to redo by sanding down and applying paint again, but that did not work out very nicely as you can clearly see it was touched up. So, I guess sanding the whole panel down and repainting it the way to go.
Last lesson learned: I tried painting the drawer mechanism by applying a thin layer of paint. Unfortunately, it greatly affected the way the drawer moved in and out. I figured it would before I started, but not that it would be this bad. Lesson learned, I think I’ll replace the drawer slides.
Anyway: the whole machine is now solid black. Some area’s could do with a bit of touching up here and there, but since I will be standing over the cabinet a lot to add the wiring of the electronics, I will do that once I do not need to be inside the cab anymore.